Pupil Well being Companies is working with the San Diego County Well being and Human Companies Company relating to stories of two college students who’re suspected to have Shiga toxin-producing E. coli also referred to as STEC.
These instances had been recognized in college students who started experiencing signs on Aug. 28 and Aug. 29. One case is in a residential scholar and the opposite is a non-residential scholar. At the moment, a particular meals supply has not been recognized for both of those instances. SDSU’s Environmental Well being and Security workforce is working carefully with the county of San Diego HHSA to research these instances and to establish and make sure the potential supply.
Further data might be shared with the group because it turns into obtainable.
About Shiga Toxin-Producing E. coli or STEC
Based on the California Division of Public Well being, Shiga Toxin-Producing E. coli or STEC is an an infection that’s attributable to sure sorts of Escherichia coli micro organism. The most typical supply of STEC infections is consuming or ingesting meals, water, or drinks which are contaminated with micro organism.
Contaminated meals gadgets could also be these similar to uncooked or undercooked meat merchandise, uncooked produce, and leafy greens, unpasteurized milk, apple juice or cider, or uncooked flour similar to that in cookie dough.
Signs of STEC
Indicators and signs of a STEC an infection will sometimes begin three to 4 days after consuming a meals or drink product that incorporates the micro organism. These signs embody:
- Extreme stomach cramps
- Watery or bloody diarrhea (three or extra free stools in 24 hours)
Signs can onset between one and 10 days after publicity.
Most people get better from this an infection inside 5 to seven days with out therapy. In some instances, people can expertise extra extreme sickness and will develop a severe kidney situation and require hospitalization.
What You Ought to Do
For all members of the SDSU group, in case you have skilled these signs since Aug. 27, please notify Pupil Well being Companies by emailing [email protected], particularly in case you have had diarrhea that lasted greater than three days, diarrhea accompanied by a fever larger than 102 levels F, blood within the stool, or such frequent vomiting that you simply had been unable to maintain liquids down or had been experiencing indicators of dehydration similar to passing little or no urine.
Additionally, for those who expertise these signs:
- Notify a healthcare supplier.
- College students can even name Pupil Well being Companies at 619-594-4325.
- Report your case by emailing [email protected]
Defending Your self from STEC
CDPH has shared actions you possibly can take to guard your self from a STEC an infection:
- Wash your fingers often with cleaning soap and heat water, particularly earlier than consuming.
- When cleaning soap and water usually are not obtainable, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Eat and drink solely pasteurized milk, dairy merchandise, and juices.
- Hold meals and animals separate,
- Keep away from ingesting or by accident swallowing leisure water, similar to water from rivers, lakes, streams, and swimming swimming pools.
It is usually really useful that you simply apply good meals security habits, which embody the next:
- Clear your fingers in addition to utensils and surfaces the place you put together meals, particularly after touching uncooked meat, poultry, eggs, or seafood.
- Wash uncooked vegetables and fruit earlier than consuming, however don’t wash uncooked meat, poultry, or eggs earlier than cooking.
- Hold uncooked meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs away from ready-to-eat meals.
- By no means place cooked meals on plates that beforehand held uncooked meat.
- Warmth meals to the right temperature to kill any germs that may make you sick.
- Don’t eat uncooked or undercooked meat, particularly beef merchandise.
- Refrigerate meals instantly to forestall germs from rising in your meals.
- Don’t put together or serve meals to others in case you have diarrhea.
SDSU is continuous to research this case in partnership with the county of San Diego. Extra data is on the college’s Shiga Toxin-Producing E. coli web page and the U.S. Facilities for Illness Management Shiga Toxin-Producing E. coli website.