5 native educators representing faculties in San Diego and North and South County have been named San Diego County Lecturers of the Yr.
Officers named the honorees Friday as a part of the thirty second annual “Cox Presents: Salute to Lecturers” offered partially by the San Diego County Workplace of Schooling (SDCOE).
The 2022-23 Lecturers of the Yr:
- Stephanie Cluxton, Torrey Hills College, San Diego, a part of Del Mar Union College District, described an educator who “strives to create a classroom setting the place college students take possession of their studying, deepen their curiosity, and uncover their items.”
- Jacqueline Ma, Lincoln Acres Elementary, Nationwide Metropolis, Nationwide College District. She has spearheaded a schoolwide STEM enchancment plan, bringing in exterior organizations – together with the Salk Institute, Scripps Institute of Oceanography and the San Diego Zoo – and offering alternatives for college students to work together with professionals.
- Aimee McCoy, Mesa Verde Center College, Poway Unified College District, who believes that permitting college students to “really feel valued by sharing and asking questions” is important to the success of the entire class.
- Juanita Nuñez, Ocean View Hills, Sundown, Smythe, Willow, and La Mirada elementary faculties, San Ysidro College District. Nuñez, the daughter of farm employees, engages 370 college students every week in 80-minute “Sci-Phy” courses, combining science and bodily schooling instruction.
- Melissa Rains, Fortress Park Center College, Chula Vista, Sweetwater Union Excessive College District, who greets science college students with a “Query of the Day” designed to gauge how they’re feeling. The solutions information the primary subject of dialog as class begins, and the group segues right into a “aware second” earlier than the primary lesson.
“The lecturers we’re celebrating right here tonight are revolutionary in what they do and passionate in regards to the college students they serve,” mentioned Dr. Paul Gothold, San Diego County superintendent of colleges. “It’s an honor to be recognizing these wonderful educators and people.”
The 5 Lecturers of the Yr will signify the county within the California Instructor of the Yr program. The state winners shall be introduced subsequent month.
In partnership with SDCOE, Cox will produce a one-hour tv particular to acknowledge native lecturers, highlight the Lecturers of the Yr, and share highlights from the reception. The present, hosted by Meals Community character and San Diego Journal proprietor Troy Johnson, will air at 9 p.m. Oct. 2 on YurView Community (Cox Channel 4) and shall be replayed a number of instances in October and November.
The honorees had been chosen from amongst 40 lecturers nominated by their faculty districts. The winners had been chosen based mostly on a overview of their purposes and interviews by a panel made up of former County Lecturers of the Yr, district and county workplace of schooling directors, and a PTA consultant.
They had been chosen based mostly on faculty and neighborhood involvement, educating philosophy, data of present instructional points and tendencies, promotion and growth of the educating career, faculty tradition and talent to function ambassadors of schooling.
Since 1974, 191 lecturers have been named county Lecturers of the Yr. Of these, 23 went on to turn out to be California Instructor of the Yr, and three had been named Nationwide Instructor of the Yr.